[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fileserver performance with log and cache devices?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 1 14:59:48 UTC 2011

I'm in the process of setting up a fileserver running oi_151a.  How
can I determine the performance improvement from adding log and cache
devices?  I'm using filebench with the fileserver personality.  Is
that my best choice?  So far, I've tried filebench directly on the
server and also on an NFS client.  What statistics should I be
watching?

To begin, I'm using a single 1 TB SAS disk on the server, without log
or cache devices.  I intend to add an Intel 311 SSD for the log and
Intel 320 SSDs for the cache.  I'd like to ensure that these improve
NFS performance.  I'd like CIFS and zfs send performance to be
reasonable as well.