[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fileserver performance with log and cache devices?

Geoff Flarity geoff.flarity at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:09:14 UTC 2011

I've used filebench on solaris 10 for testing different disk
combinations for a database servers a head of a major purchase.  I had
to write my own graphing scripts, but the information was very
informative.

My advice would be to max out your RAM (for ARC) before you bother
with a ZIL, or L2ARC.  Where a fast SSD for a ZIL really shines is
random synchronized writes. IE a database transaction. You'll notice
this when you run filebench and look at the results. I'm not sure how
NFS handles FSYNC and DSYNC to be honest.

Cheers,
GF