[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which mobo allows 24 GB ram and ECC

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Sun Dec 4 22:08:48 UTC 2011

If you are considering AMD hardware, most 990FX motherboards support
both ECC and up to 32GB of memory. They also have support for IOMMU.

I can confirm that for example the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 supports all
of the above. I can also recall that I have seen screenshots of ECC
options in one of the BIOS/UEFI menus of an ASUS Crosshair V /
Sabertooth motherboard.

I'm not 100% sure if the 990FX chipset will work on OI. I will know by
the end of next week and can confirm this once I have migrated my system
to this motherboard. In the meanwhile I can confirm that motherboards
with the 790FX and the 890FX chipsets work fine with OpenIndiana and
OpenSolaris.

Robin.