[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing a Unbuntu Guest Under KVM

Geoff Flarity geoff.flarity at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 23:35:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Matt Connolly
<matt.connolly.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did this recently without any problems.
>
> On 02/12/2011, at 10:36 AM, Geoff Flarity wrote:
>
>> Ok, so I changed the -vnc to so use an outside world accessible ip:
>>
>> -vnc <outside world ip>:01
>
> I used "-vnc 0.0.0.0:1" as a qemu parameter.
>

>> And now I connect. So it looks like it was ssh. But oddly, when I use
>> netcat to create a server, I can tunnel to it just fine:
>>
>> netcat -l localhost 5901
>>
>> ^ works fine with ssh tunnel.
>>
>> This moves me forward, but I really want to know why I can connect
>> with ssh? Any ideas?
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Geoff Flarity <geoff.flarity at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got Ubuntu booting under kvm and now I'm trying to vnc into it in
>>> order to install it. I've got an ssh tunnel going through to
>>> localhost:5901 which the kvm-qemu vnc server seems to be listening on,
>>> ie the port opens with telnet.  When I try to connect to the vm with
>>> vnc no window comes up but the vnc client says it's connected. All the
>>> stuff I can find seems to imply that I should see the installer screen
>>> in vnc...
>
> So you're doing something like: "ssh -L5901:localhost:5901 user at host" ?

Exactly, yes.  Maybe I should have tried 0.0.0.0 instead though...

> I've seen some vnc clients that don't like to connect to localhost. Is there any reason you can't just vnc directly to the OI server?

It's not the client. If you telnet to a vnc port you see a 'RFB blah
blah' connection handsake message.

Not sure what you mean by vnc directly to OI server? I did bind vnc to
the external ip  that works. It's a 2U server and eventually it'll be
locked away.