[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing a Unbuntu Guest Under KVM

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 23:08:11 UTC 2011

I did this recently without any problems.

On 02/12/2011, at 10:36 AM, Geoff Flarity wrote:

> Ok, so I changed the -vnc to so use an outside world accessible ip:
>
> -vnc <outside world ip>:01

I used "-vnc 0.0.0.0:1" as a qemu parameter.

> And now I connect. So it looks like it was ssh. But oddly, when I use
> netcat to create a server, I can tunnel to it just fine:
>
> netcat -l localhost 5901
>
> ^ works fine with ssh tunnel.
>
> This moves me forward, but I really want to know why I can connect
> with ssh? Any ideas?
>
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Geoff Flarity <geoff.flarity at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got Ubuntu booting under kvm and now I'm trying to vnc into it in
>> order to install it. I've got an ssh tunnel going through to
>> localhost:5901 which the kvm-qemu vnc server seems to be listening on,
>> ie the port opens with telnet.  When I try to connect to the vm with
>> vnc no window comes up but the vnc client says it's connected. All the
>> stuff I can find seems to imply that I should see the installer screen
>> in vnc...

So you're doing something like: "ssh -L5901:localhost:5901 user at host" ?

I've seen some vnc clients that don't like to connect to localhost. Is there any reason you can't just vnc directly to the OI server?

-Matt