[OpenIndiana-discuss] set up PPPoE

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Wed Dec 14 22:01:08 UTC 2011

I have archived several dozen PPPoE on Solaris threads from misc. Solaris
mailing lists over the years.

Most of my archived emails contained URL's to howto sites, and following up on
those sites, probably half are dead.  But typically, you can still find the
archived sites on the Wayback machine and still get the data.

I have posted one of the messages (bottom) from someone who got it working from
the Solaris X86 mailing list and documented his work for archival purposes, and
I hope that this helps.

Most of these threads I follow typically end with the end user going out and
purchasing a Linksys/D-Link/some-other-generic-brand NAT box with PPPoE
capabilities.

I would also add, that the end users who did get PPPoE working never seemed
happy with the throughput they received and if they use it (PPPoE on Solaris)
for any length of time, they seem to move into a phase 2 where once PPPoE is
working, they need to fine tune it to get any network performance out of it.

Let me know if you would like, and I can post some of the data I have archived.

Is a NAT box an option for you, or do you need to make this work on Solaris?

Jerry

--- In solarisx86 at yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson at ...>
wrote:

> > well the good news is that I have PPPoE working and ipfilter
> > working. WITH A TON OF HACKS in the scripts.
> >
> > (mainly autopush and stuff...plink doesnt to anything on its own) -
stupid.

> > Well the latest issue I have is I cant visit most web sites.
> >
> > http://www.cnn.com is the worst.
> >
> > I expect this is a MSS/MTU issue. I tried the suggestions and added
> > keep state keep frags on my rules to no avail.
> >
> > Seems like I need a 'mssfixup' or something.
> >
> > What do people do when they run into this...toss out ipfilter and
run
> > *BSD with something else? -
> >
> > anythoughts before I just give up once again on solaris?
> >
> > Sheesh.....I am close.

Ok here is what I had to do (for the sake of this list and archive)..

setup /etc/ppp/ip-up as such:

#!/usr/bin/sh
/sbin/ifconfig sppp0 modinsert pfil at 1
/usr/sbin/ipnat -CF -f /etc/ipf/ipnat.conf
/usr/sbin/ipf -F -f /etc/ipf/ipf.conf
/usr/sbin/ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf/ipf.conf
/usr/sbin/ipf -y
exit 0
#

this correctly sets up sppp0 and reloads NAT/IPF rules.
adding plink to /etc/ppp/options didnt do anything on its 'own'.

Then I went to each client and setup the MTU as 1492.
My other option was to use mssclamp, but that just felt wrong.

Now the ONLY other issue I have is when/where to start ppp. I have a
startup file /etc/init.d/ppplink and it works...but whats the *BEST*
way to add this into solaris 10 and where?

if I could have ppp start BEFORE ipfilter works that would be ideal
(I think)..since ipfilter doesnt know about sppp0 until ppp is online.

Comments?

-JD