[OpenIndiana-discuss] set up PPPoE

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Thu Dec 15 14:36:19 UTC 2011

Hi Jerry!

> As it appears that you have a functional PPPoE setup working well
> for yourself/$WORK, can you sanitize and share your configuration
> files?

No problem, but there's not really much to share.  We created a peer
file named /etc/ppp/peers/t-dsl (because the service is called T-DSL):

  sppptun
  plugin pppoe.so
  connect "/usr/lib/inet/pppoec -o15000 -v bge3"
  noccp
  noauth
  user "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU at t-online.de"
  password "PPPPPPPP"
  noipdefault
  defaultroute
  usepeerdns
  persist

We set a few options in /etc/ppp/options:

  lock
  nodefaultroute
  noproxyarp

The name of the interface we use ("bge3") goes into /etc/ppp/pppoe.if.
(This is on a T1000, btw.  We run it once on Sparc and once on x64.)

In /etc/ppp/ip-up we do a few things:

- build a new resolv.conf (because we want the local DNS to be first,
  and the PPP-provided external DNS servers to be second and third)

- build and enable ipf rules based on the new IP address on sppp0

- log the new IP address just in case

In /etc/ppp/ip-up we just log the fact that the connection has gone down.

Then we wrote a tiny bit of the usual SMF glue:

  # svcs -x ppp
  svc:/network/ppp:default (PPP Daemon for T-DSL)
   State: online since Thu Dec 15 02:55:34 2011
     See: pppd(1m)
     See: /var/svc/log/network-ppp:default.log
  Impact: None.

That's all there is to it!

  # ifconfig sppp0
  sppp0: flags=10011008d1<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,NOARP,MULTICAST,ROUTER,IPv4,FIXEDMTU> mtu 1492 index 107
          inet 91.xx.xx.xx --> 217.yy.yy.yy netmask ff000000

We get one line in syslog because the IP subsystem can't find any MAC
address:

  Dec 15 02:55:00 shelob ip: [ID 646971 kern.notice] ip_create_dl: hw addr length = 0

...but that can be ignored.

The PPP daemon will set the default route automatically only when a
connection to the peer is established because we set "defaultroute"
in the peer file; the "global" default option is set to "nodefaultroute".
So in theory we could have another PPPoE connection over another
physical interface and alternate between them via SMF service instances.

I think that's it; the task of documenting and packaging that setup has
been on my To-Do List for quite a while, so I will try and recreate the
setup RSN. :-)

HTH -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"