[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 source code leaked?

Gary gdriggs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:17:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> True, if anyone posts a single comment or thought about the code, all of Oracle will hunt down this list
> and all its members! Even thinking about looking at that source code, is thought crime! Beware!

That's either tongue in cheek or more than a bit alarmist. Either way,
you don't have to open Pandora's torrent as someone else has already
looked for you and come up with this brief, high-level assessment:

"... the 108MB tarball appears to contain most or all of the source
for the kernel of Solaris 11, based on our review of the code. While
the majority of the code in the archive is marked with the licensing
header for the Common Development and Distribution License, there is
also a significant amount of code and makefiles covered by Oracle and
other companies' copyrights that did not carry the CDDL, as well as
older code bearing Sun Microsystem's copyright in a directory of the
archive named 'closed.'

That proprietary code includes the source for Solaris' kernel-level
cryptographic framework daemon, logical link control driver, and code
for mounting NFS filesystems. A significant portion of the code in
'closed,' however, also carried the CDDL header; it's not clear if
Oracle intended to make this previously open code closed or not."

q.v. http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/12/disgruntled-employee-oracle-doesnt-seem-to-care-about-solaris-11-code-leak.ars

I'm sure Ars' lawyers are standing by -- or rather, hanging nearby in
their hammocks, sipping their Mai Thais, and dreaming about fat sacks
of cash from St. Nicholas.

-Gary