[OpenIndiana-discuss] access to partition table inside zvol

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 01:30:08 UTC 2011

Evgenii Lepikhin wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to OpenIndiana/Solaris and I have the question without answer:
> I exported ZFS volume with iSCSI and installed Windows on the exported
> volume. Now I have zvol with partition table inside (EFI/GPT) having
> two partitions created. How can I mount one of that partitions
> locally? mount knows nothing about "-o offset" (Linux style), ntfs-3g
> doesn't know this also.

Looping back through iSCSI is the way.

> By the way, I imported this volume back to OpenIndiana machine just
> for testing. format/fdisk utility sees this disk, but shows strange
> information about partitions:
>             Total disk size is 65270 cylinders            Cylinder
> size is 224910 (512 byte) blocks
>
> Cylinders
> Partition Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
> =========     ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
>          1      EFI               0  65269    65270    100

That looks correct. An EFI/GPT partitioned disk is defined to have just
one single FDISK partition of type EFI which must encompass the whole
disk. This was done specifically so that an EFI/GPT partitioned disk is
visible to users of FDISK, so they won't accidentally blow it away by
thinking the disk isn't formatted.

If you use prtconf(1M), I think you'll see the GPT partitioning inside
the EFI FDISK partition (which is where your two GPT partitions are). It
works a bit like DOS logical disks inside an Extended DOS FDISK
partition (except that in the case of an EFI/GPT partitioned disk, no
other FDISK partition is permitted on the disk).

--
Andrew