[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 source code leaked?

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 16:21:45 UTC 2011

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> There is no way of knowing if the source has been altered or tampered with.
>
> Short of a cryptographically signed release or a statement from oracle, best and safest option is to ignore it and stay far far away from the code.

There is of course huge amount of work needed if someone wants to audit
all code changes since Opensolaris to check does code include or not
something bad inside. And Oracle signing the code will be great I
suppose, because than source will be confirmed and will be known who to
blame if something nasty is in the code.

But Oracle knows that. They also know that there will be very few people
brave to take Solaris11 source and make new distribution with it. (There
already Illumos) And it will be hard from technological standpoint, for
a start.
And it is everything Oracle wants.  They can take CDDL-ed contributions
from Illumos and make reluctant all those wanting their enhancements
from the Solaris to get in some other product.
So to say in such a way, Solaris11 code release, no matter in what way
release is done with CDDL code, is in favor of Oracle.

Community already has Illumos and it is going it's way and Oracle lost
the lead in Opensolaris continuation in favor of Illumos
and Openindiana and other future distributions made on Illumos.
This seems to me like Oracle quiet coming back  - to the scene with new
technologies in Solaris11 Oracle introduced since Opensolaris through to
the Solaris11 release.
Someone might think it could be harmful to Open source projects, but how
actually CDDL released opensolaris fork, that Solaris11 is - could be bad?

*Maybe it is great to be reluctant to introduce S11 code in illumos, but
why not take a look at it and try to be compatible?

More I think about it all, more I am thinking Oracle actually did what
he needed to do stay afloat before making Solaris11 release based on
Opensolaris code.
They closed development because most of development relevant to them was
coming from Oracle, anyway.
And they did not want the hassle of maintaining Opensolaris community
and be a center of outside development.
And they wanted to make money on Solaris11 release, of course, sell more
hardware and release the code only after Solaris 11 is out, to fulfill
CDDL license, but with no need to spend their resources outside company.

Oracle does not want to have anything with community of new users,
contributors and collaborators ,
they want communities of well-paying customers. And one-way
contributions in Solaris.

I know there must be reluctance of accepting that Solaris11 released
code is truly under CDDL (for parts that are) .
But under what license could it be, since Solaris11 is derived code from
CDDL-licensed Opensolaris?
(now it is in open)