[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS server on oi_148

Martin Frost me at cs.Stanford.EDU
Tue Dec 27 07:20:44 UTC 2011

We have Windows machines that need to access ZFS filesystems under
oi_148 that are also exported via NFS to Linux machines.

I need to be able to specify which filesystems each Windows user can
see.  Below is a sample of what I do on a Linux system to restrict
Samba access for a given share to certain users.  Can this be done
under OI/CIFS?

    [fin]
       comment = Fin
       path = /home/fin
       valid users = fin,user1,user2,user3
       create mask = 0770
       directory mask = 0770
       force group = fin

I'm hoping to use the in-kernel CIFS server, as I assume it provides
better performance, but I'm not clear about the configuration
differences between the Samba server and the in-kernel CIFS server
under OI.

I ran:

   zfs create -o casesensitivity=mixed -o nbmand=on thepool/test1
   zfs set sharenfs='rw=remotehostfqdn,root=remotehostfqdn thepool/test1
   zfs set sharesmb=on thepool/test1

and that made the test1 filesystem mountable via 'smb:/server/thepool'
from Finder on a Mac (so I assume it will work from Windows too).

I noticed that the first time I set sharesmb on, /usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd
got started up.  Is this the non-kernel Samba server??

There is no smb.conf file.  There is a /etc/samba/smb.conf-example,
but nothing like smb.conf shows up in 'strings /usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd'.
And 'man smbd' doesn't mention any configuration file.  I do see a man
page for smb.conf' -- can I use an smb.conf file with the in-kernel
CIFS server?  If so, would it live in /etc/samba?

I've added this to /etc/pam.conf so that users get Samba passwords:

  other password required pam_smb_passwd.so.1 nowarn

Since the OI machine is only a fileserver, I don't want the users to
ssh into the machine, so unless there's a better way, I plan to lock
the Samba users' passwords in /etc/shadow.

Thanks for your help.

Martin