[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot get CIFS to work on OI 151a

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Wed Dec 28 02:05:36 UTC 2011

I just made a fresh install of OpenIndiana build 151a and I cannot get
the CIFS to work properly. The command
"svcs | grep smb/server" yields "maintenance     0:52:32
svc:/network/smb/server:default". When looking into the log at
"/var/svc/log/network-smb-server\:default.log" I get the following errors:

[ Dec 28 00:52:32 Executing start method ("/usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd start"). ]
smbd: NetBIOS services started
smbd: kernel bind error: No such file or directory
smbd: daemon initialization failed
[ Dec 28 00:52:32 Method "start" exited with status 95. ]
[ Dec 28 02:29:52 Rereading configuration. ]

As I've been instructed, the CIFS server should be initiated using the
following sequence of commands:

# rem_drv smbsrv

# pkg install SUNWsmbskr
# pkg install SUNWsmbs

# add_drv smbsrv
# svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/network/smb/server.xml

# svcadm enable -r smb/server
# smbadm join -w <workgroup>

followed by adding the line "other password required pam_smb_passwd.so.1
nowarn" at the end of the "/etc/pam.conf" and issuing the "passwd"
command afterwards.

I've done this before on OpenSolaris without any issues but I get errors
when doing it on this fresh OI install. Trying to install the SUNWsmbskr
and the SUNWsmbs packages merely returns "No updates necessary for this
image.". The file /var/manifest/network/smb/server.xml" doesn't exist
and the "smbadm join -w" returns "Internal Error".

I tried installing a package named "storage-server" but that didn't
help, I'm stuck. How should I proceed?

Robin.