[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone else using IPMIView20 on OpenIndiana?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 28 19:36:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:01:43AM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > What about FreeIPMI and ipmitool, both in the OI package repository.
> > Has anyone used those with a Supermicro IPMI device?
>
> I've used ipmitool pretty extensively on Linux and OS X to manage
> Supermicro servers.  I haven't tried it on OI but I imagine it would
> work the same.
>
> Try something like this to open a virtual console:
> ipmitool -I lanplus -H <hostname> -U<username> sol activate

Thanks.  That works nicely.  The terminal emulation is a bit messed up
when running under gnome-terminal, but otherwise it's fine.

> You can get GRUB to talk to a serial port by using something like the
> following in your menu.lst (or grub.conf) file:
>
> serial --unit=1 --speed=19200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
> terminal --timeout=5 serial console

I haven't needed to do that.  All I did is append `,console=text' to
the `kernel$' in a GRUB menu item, and comment out the `splashimage'
lines.  I get the BIOS screens and the GRUB screens on both the local
and remote console.  The BMC device must be redirecting the character-
cell video to the serial-over-lan viewer.

> For this to work right you should set "Continue console redirection
> after OS loads" to OFF.

I don't seem to have that option in my BIOS setup.  This is on a
Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard.

> I haven't tried to configure OI for a serial console yet, so I can't
> help you with that, but this should help get you started.

When GRUB starts the OS, I get the one-line banner on both consoles
but nothing after that on the remote console.  The logging and the OS
login session appear only on the local console.  It appears that the
BMI device stops redirecting when the OS begins using the VGA
interface.  I haven't figured out how to get around that yet.