[OpenIndiana-discuss] Anyone else using IPMIView20 on OpenIndiana?

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Fri Dec 30 23:09:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:01:43AM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > Try something like this to open a virtual console:
> > ipmitool -I lanplus -H <hostname> -U<username> sol activate
>
> Thanks.  That works nicely.  The terminal emulation is a bit messed up
> when running under gnome-terminal, but otherwise it's fine.

One thing that may help is enlarging your window to be 80x25 characters
instead of 80x24.  Remember that it's redirecting a PC text screen, and
that's 80x25.  Another thing that has sometimes worked for me is trying
different terminal emulation options, e.g. VT102 vs. ANSI.

> I haven't tried to configure OI for a serial console yet, so I can't

> > help you with that, but this should help get you started.
>
> When GRUB starts the OS, I get the one-line banner on both consoles
> but nothing after that on the remote console.  The logging and the OS
> login session appear only on the local console.  It appears that the
> BMI device stops redirecting when the OS begins using the VGA
> interface.  I haven't figured out how to get around that yet.

Yeah, once the OS loads the BMI probably loses control of the redirection.
 You'll need to figure out how to tell OI's kernel to use the serial port
as a console, and I don't know how to do that.

--
David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics