[OpenIndiana-discuss] Forced to power cycle OI 151

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 01:15:34 UTC 2011

After running 148 w/o any problems for ~9 months I recently did an upgrade to 151.

I've now had to power cycle the machine twice.  In both instances I was running Firefox and the display froze.  No mouse or keyboard response.  Nor was I able to trigger a shutdown dialog w/ the power switch.

This time when I logged in it announced I'd chosen a new language (WTF is that about?) and wanted to move /home/rhb to /home/rhb/Public.  This caused me to check crontab and I found that the automatic update task had been reinstated during the upgrade.  Serious demerits for whoever did that.  Did I get auto-updated?

While I was generally quite impressed by the upgrade process, I am seriously underwhelmed by having my crontab modified.  If OpenIndiana is going to "copy Linux" or whatever the phrase was to the point of being unreliable, I might as well just use Linux.  I expect systems to stay up for months or years unless I choose to take them down.  I also expect upgrades to leave my crontab alone!

Does anyone have any guesses as to what might have happened or suggestions of how to collect data?  I don't find anything in messages or in syslog, but things have moved around a lot the last 10 years and I haven't really kept up.  It did look rather like an X problem, but hard to say w/o a system to login from remotely.

Not Happy!
Reg