[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome startup applications on oi_147

Michael Schuster michaelsprivate at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 08:55:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 02:04, Dave Koelmeyer <davekoelmeyer at me.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an oi_147 x86 system (progressively upgraded from OpenSolaris
> 2009.06) that for ages now launches a bunch of applications (consistently)
> on login to the desktop, even though Preferences -> Startup Applications
> does not contain entries for the apps concerned.

probably obvious so you didn't mention it: have you checked various
login scripts/rc files?

what you could also do: ssh into the box as a different user before
you log into gnome, set up a DTrace script to trace all fork/execs for
"your" user, and then log into gnome; wlith some post-processing it
should be possible to find out which process is responsible for
spawning these apps, and take it from there.

HTH
Michael
> "Automatically remember running applications when logging out" in the above
> preferences pane is unticked.
>
> ~/.config/autostart only contains:
>
> time-slider-notify.desktop
> evolution-alarm-notify.desktop
> codeina-update.desktop
>
> On login to Gnome, I get 2 instances of Gedit, 2 instances of VirtualBox,
> one of Pidgin, and a terminal.
>
> Anyone got any ideas about where these are being configured, and how to
> clear it? :)
>
> Cheers,

regards/mit freundlichen Grüssen
Michael Schuster