[OpenIndiana-discuss] The Illumos pkgsrc project

Mads Worsøe Duun mads at worsoe.dk
Tue Feb 8 19:01:49 UTC 2011

Hi Dustin

Great to hear, any help is a great help, as this is so fare a one man
project.

I am not in favor of dictatorship, so decisions should be made by the
project members. Therefore I hope that we will have discussion about how
changes should be made to the pkgsrc tree. I vote for that we will maintain
our own tree, as we could commit changes faster. But of cause, changes
should also be sent back upstream. I guess this is something like what
DragonFlyBSD do.

Btw my bootstrap script does not support the Sun Studio compiler yet. I have
had much more success using the gcc compiler. I know that Studio will
generate better code, but it will involve much more pkgsrc hacking. My
script also first use an external gcc compiler to bootstrap pkgsrc, then
compile and switch to a "native" pkgsrc gcc compiler. The pkgsrc compiler
used as default in my script is gcc34, but you have the option to use gcc44,
and the too experimental compilers clang and pcc. This option will also
later support Sun Studio.

If you want to be official member of The Illumos pkgsrc project, please
register at http://www.illumos.org and let me know. Also please tell me what
kind of work you would like to help with.

Mads Worsøe Duun