[OpenIndiana-discuss] The Illumos pkgsrc project

Dustin Marquess dmarquess at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 19:47:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Mads Worsøe Duun <mads at worsoe.dk> wrote:
> Btw my bootstrap script does not support the Sun Studio compiler yet. I have
> had much more success using the gcc compiler. I know that Studio will
> generate better code, but it will involve much more pkgsrc hacking. My
> script also first use an external gcc compiler to bootstrap pkgsrc, then
> compile and switch to a "native" pkgsrc gcc compiler. The pkgsrc compiler
> used as default in my script is gcc34, but you have the option to use gcc44,
> and the too experimental compilers clang and pcc. This option will also
> later support Sun Studio.

I agree.  When I used pkgsrc in production on Solaris 10 sun4u
machines, I used gcc34 over gcc44 / gccfs / Studio because it had the
highest 'success' rate.  When I started using it on OI amd64 machines,
I started using Studio because it had a high recommendation on the
pkgsrc lists, but there is definitely more pkgsrc hacking involved in
it.

pkgsrc support for gcc 4.x is getting better (I use 4.4 on my NetBSD
machines), however at least on Sol10/sun4u, I had weird problems with
certain apps when using 4.x, whereas 3.4 just worked.  Of course 3.x
also worked better than 4.x for me on my old Tru64 machines, so maybe
I'm just cursed when it comes to gcc 4 :).

-Dustin