[OpenIndiana-discuss] info about Solaris and the new 4K-Sector-Disks (e.g. WDxxEARS)

Piotr Jasiukajtis piotr.jasiukajtis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 09:22:17 UTC 2011

That PSARC is already included into OpenIndiana:
changeset:   9889:68d0fe4c716e
user:        yu, larry liu - Sun Microsystems - Beijing China <Larry.Liu at Sun.COM>
date:        Wed Jun 17 19:20:05 2009 +0800
summary:     PSARC 2008/769 Multiple disk sector size support.

I guess the issue here is little misunderstood by the community.
Solaris/OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana is ready for 4k drives and it uses 4k if drive report that.
The case with WD EARS is the drive emulates 512b sectors (it reports 512b instead of 4k) while it's 4k native.

Take a look at related bug report: https://www.illumos.org/issues/453
and proposed solution: http://lists.illumos.org/pipermail/developer/2011-January/001218.html

On Feb 9, 2011, at 7:20 PM, Edward Martinez wrote:

> Some info:
>

> "Appears Oracle Oracle has addressed this problem in PSARC 2008/769 <http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2008/769/final_spec.txt>. This seems to be a fairly generic and flexible solution, however it will only be available in the next release of Solaris. It might be already integrated into OpenSolaris"
>
> http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2008/769/final_spec.txt
>
> http://www.solarismen.de/archives/4-Solaris-and-the-new-4K-Sector-Disks-e.g.-WDxxEARS-Part-1.html
> http://www.solarismen.de/archives/5-Solaris-and-the-new-4K-Sector-Disks-e.g.-WDxxEARS-Part-2.html
>
> --