[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU HCL - nVidia Questions & Advice

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 10 17:00:06 UTC 2011

On 02/09/11 21:52, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> I need a new graphics card for an older system (PCIE-1.0). I don't game,
> do graphics, rendering, etc. so don't need high end - just a good
> workstation unit that supports OpenGL, good color accuracy, and draws
> square squares :)  Occasional DVD's are probably about the most GPU
> intensive use the system sees. Noisy fans and failed fan bearings are a
> drag, so passive cooling is a plus, but not always a must as long as the
> card doesn't make the box sound like a hovercraft.

I've been happy with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024NL1E0

in a system built around a Tyan S2865-family motherboard(which may well
qualify as an "older system" now).  Passive cooling.  Drives two 24"
LCD's quite happily.

That model fits in a pcie x16 slot.  i believe there's also a pcie x1
slot version if you really don't need performance...

						- Bill