[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU HCL - nVidia Questions & Advice

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Thu Feb 10 19:36:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 09:00 -0800, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> On 02/09/11 21:52, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > I need a new graphics card for an older system (PCIE-1.0). I don't game,
> > do graphics, rendering, etc. so don't need high end - just a good
> > workstation unit that supports OpenGL, good color accuracy, and draws
> > square squares :)  Occasional DVD's are probably about the most GPU
> > intensive use the system sees. Noisy fans and failed fan bearings are a
> > drag, so passive cooling is a plus, but not always a must as long as the
> > card doesn't make the box sound like a hovercraft.
>
> I've been happy with:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024NL1E0
>
> in a system built around a Tyan S2865-family motherboard(which may well
> qualify as an "older system" now).  Passive cooling.  Drives two 24"
> LCD's quite happily.
>
> That model fits in a pcie x16 slot.  i believe there's also a pcie x1
> slot version if you really don't need performance...

Thanks for the pointer.  The 295 also made my short list and the passive
cooling is a plus.  The Quadro 600 seems like a lot more card for not
very much more money, however, and since Ken reports first hand that the
600 is nice and quiet, seemed like the way to go.  Now that I have first
hand report of the 295, I'll give it a bit more thought and
consideration, as even though the 600 is quiet, the box runs pretty much
24x7 and no moving parts to wear out is a plus.

PCIE2 cards downgrade to PCIE1 (and vice versa), you just loose the
extra bandwidth.  At least that's the theory w.r.t. the spec.  I've yet
to actually try it.

Oh yeah, and an S2865 based system is exactly what it will be calling
home. Only single 24" LCD at present.

Thanks again to all-- Ken

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>