[OpenIndiana-discuss] Pkgbuild with IPS and SVR4 packages

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Feb 10 18:54:06 UTC 2011

I now have a spec file for the ISC DHCP server that permits me to
build an IPS package under Solaris 11 x86 or SVR4 packages under
Solaris 10 SPARC and x86.  I'm quite impressed with `pkgbuild'.
This effort has raised a few questions in my mind.

First of all, I discovered that I can't build a Solaris 11 package
under Solaris 10 because a few things have changed between these
versions.  These include the manifest location, the run path, and the
shared library versions.  As well, the dependancies change from SVR4
package names to IPS package names.  Is there any way around these
problems?

Some IPS packages contain both SPARC and x86 executables.  Is there
a way to build these with pkgbuild?

Do SPARC and x86 IPS packages reside in the same repository, or should
there be separate repositories for the two architectures?