[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-dev-148 failure on V20z

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Sat Feb 12 01:45:42 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I'm trying OI-dev-148 on a V20z, using the text-installer ISO burned
to a CD.  The kernel boots up from CD, but things hang right after
the message:
	Preparing text install image for use

Just for comparison, Solaris 11 Express 2010-11 text installer ISO does
not have the same problem.

I've added "-kv" and "-d" to the boot args, but at the point the
system hangs, the kernel is up, modules have all been loaded, and
devices seem to all be recognized.  The CD activity light blinks
for awhile then the system just hangs.  The SP power-off command
("platform set power state off") never returns, although adding
the "-f" flag does power off the system.

Once in awhile I do get a partial message about an ata timeout
associated with the CD drive.  I've added one or the other or
both of the "-Batapi-cd-dma-enable=0" to the boot flags, or
setting "use_mp=0" at the debugger, but the behavior does not
change.

The system does respond to the console "Break" signal (I'm using
the Serial-over-LAN console in the SP) and allows use of kmdb,
but it doesn't tell me much that I find useful.  Sometimes a stack
trace will show we're stopped in the mpt driver, but other times
we're not.

Let me know what I can to to debug further.

Regards,

Marion