[OpenIndiana-discuss] Second Look at OI "Stable" Proposal (was Re: Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch)

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sun Feb 13 19:13:35 UTC 2011

I was just taking a second (well, actually third) look at this and the
more important baby (IMAP) was thrown out with the bath water (MTA
debate).

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 11:50 -0700, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 20:36 +0000, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> > Hi All,

[snip]

> Despite all it's goodness, one, if not the, primary detractor to Open
> Solaris's uptake was a paucity of 3rd party packages. Postponing until
> IllumOS integraton would allow more time for the repository to be
> updated and fleshed out, thereby creating a better initial impression of
> "fresh and up to date" Open Solaris based system. If the minimal
> supported server now path is chosen, then I think there really needs to
> be some POP3/IMAP package on the list, because it's not all just about
> web servers.  Cyrus or Dovecot would be good choices.

The proposed minimal set of packages to be supported is very web server
centric.  Email is still a BIG component of the Internet and I believe
that at least one IMAP package should be included in the supported list.
And that package should be either Dovecot (simpler) or Cyrus (bigger
enterprise ready and more RFC conformant).  There are many people
running large Cyrus ZFS installations on Solaris based systems (although
many OpenSolaris may have migrated by now) so I think it might not bee
too difficult if we approached the appropriate Cyrus mailing list with a
request to package for OI.  Probably similarly for Dovecot, as last I
communicated with Timo (admittedly in early Dovecot development) he was
very helpful guy.  My personal preference would be for Cyrus because of
the RFC feature/conformance aspect.

Also, I think SSH needs to be added to the supported list.  I'm sure
this one was merely an oversight.

Thank you and have a nice day.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>