[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU HCL - nVidia Questions & Advice

Frank Middleton f.middleton at apogeect.com
Wed Feb 16 01:16:26 UTC 2011

On 02/15/11 19:58, ken mays wrote:
> Ed,
>
> If you can't get it to work, there are reported issues with certain
> GT220 cards (bad hardware batches, like the Intel Sandy Bridge
> incident).
>
> Nvidia is aware of this issue.
>
> So, you can replace the GT220 card with the GT430 or GeForce 9600 GT
> to resolve your issue.

My experience with a GT460 hasn't been too stellar. If you enable the
screensaver, after blanking the screen it starts outputting error
messages as fast as the logging device can write them. When it goes
to suspend it goes into the WAIT mode, writing log entries every 3
seconds. Unfortunately it sometimes goes into WAIT even with the
screensaver disabled, but the screensaver method is quite repeatable.

It seems to take a power cycle to get the card working again once this
has happened, so for now at least, a GT460 seems to be unusable :-(.

Hopefully this will be fixed by 7001754, but I would treat any of the
higher end Nvidia cards with suspicion for now...

Cheers -- Frank