[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2 Node ZFS ISCSI failover Cluster with one SAS storage attached

Bernd Helber bernd at helber-it-services.com
Sun Feb 20 18:45:11 UTC 2011

Am 20.02.11 18:31, schrieb Denny Schierz:
> hi Bernd,

> yeah, but the problem is, OpenSolaris is death and we don't get any
> (security?) updates more.

I'm fully aware about this issue. In Fact its dead.

But is it necessary for you to get every update  for a Failover Solution
in your scenario?

I assume if those boxes are locked up in a data center, without access
to the Internet you could live very long with those kind of solution.

Or buy Solaris 10 Licences and Sun Cluster 3.3

If its necessary for your business you should think about it.

>> For the future You may have a look onto
>> http://www.illumos.org/projects/ihac
>
> hmm, no release date ..
>
>> The other Alternative could be the FreeBSD HAST Project as you mentioned.
>
> HAST is only for create a mirror, what we don't need, 'cause the nodes
> have access to all disks at the same time, through the SAS HBA.
>

> Also the ZFS Version is bit old (14). It's all bad :-/

There's nothing wrong with an old ZFS Version, and FreeBSD is rock
stable. They tend to be conservative, and you don't get every neat
feature, which could possibly be handy.

But the implemented Releases tend to work very well, and i think thats
the most important point.

> But, we need only a few components of a cluster, like carp (in BSD
> words) for a global IP and detecting if the master node isn't there
> anymore and take over the IP + importing the pool. Maybe there is a
> chance under OI.

Not yet, maybe you check out if Veritas Cluster will run under OI, but
it will cost a few bucks.

Personally if i had to run a business... i would stick to the Original.
Also think about, you get what you pay for.

> cu denny

Cu and take care :-)

with kind regards

 Bernd Helber