[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2 small Qs about Sata controllers

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Sun Feb 20 21:07:36 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-20 10:21, Alexander Lesle wrote:
> Hello Robin Axelsson and List,
>
> On Februar, 20 2011, 00:15<Robin Axelsson>  wrote in [1]:
>
>> On 2011-02-19 19:26, Alexander Lesle wrote:
>>> Hello Robin Axelsson,
>>>
>>> am Samstag, 19. Februar 2011 um 02:14 hat<Robin Axelsson>   u.a.
>>> in mid:4D5F197C.4060608 at student.chalmers.se geschrieben:
>>> I can not confirm that the LSI 1068e HBA runs with this Motherboard
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655
>>> ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX
>>>
>>> But I can confirm that the new LSI HBA SAS 9211-8i
>>> http://store.lsi.com/index.cfm?category=17&subcategory=24&productid=LSI00194
>>> do _not_ run with this Board.
>>> LSI support tells me that the Asus PCIe x16 is programmed by BIOS only
>>> for graphic cards.
>>> Asus support send me a modified BIOS but the HBA is not running.
>>>
>>> I have the same problems with a asrock board.
>>>
>>> Now I have bought a Supermicro Board and all rocks fine.
>>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1156
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182212&cm_re=supermicro_x8sil-_-13-182-212-_-Product
>>> Wow its cheaper than the Asus.
>>>
>> Wow, I never heard before that there was such a problem with
>> motherboards.
> http://kb.lsi.com/KnowledgebaseArticle15591.aspx?Keywords=15591
>
>> The motherboards I have tried my LSI SAS 3081E-R are
>> GIgabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 and MSI 790FX-GD70 and it runs fine on both of
>> them. I recently got an MSI 890FX-GD70 and although I have not tried I
>> can't imagine that there would be a problem to fit such a card into one
>> of its x16 slots. From what you told me it looks like I should stay away
>> from Asus and ASRock's motherboards (ASUS and ASRock are pretty much the
>> same company but I guess you already know that).
>> I hope you give them a hard time on the phone, make them regret that
>> they have released such a motherboard ;)
> Thats fine for you. Asus and Asrock are the same company? Ok fine,
> thats new for me. I have no problems with this company.
> I told here my experience with this board and this HBA card.

I beg to differ; if you buy from a company a product that doesn't work
and they don't solve the problem then you _do_ have a problem with that
company. Motherboard vendors are notorious for their poor customer
service and while they give you a checklist (if you are lucky enough to
get in touch with them) asking questions that are irrelevant to the
problem (such as is the card inserted properly? Are the power cables
properly connected? Do you use latest firmware? ...) they are very
reluctant to actually fix the problem. That is my experience with
motherboard vendors such as Asus, Gigabyte and MSI.