[OpenIndiana-discuss] Old Issue - Adaptec 7899

lleo lleo at lwordshop.com
Mon Feb 28 17:39:30 UTC 2011

  I have read up on the previous posts about copying cadp160 and sunwadp
from the sol 10 dvd.  Initially, that worked with an osol 2008.05 (??).
But I was testing distros and wiped it clean.  Now I realize, that
openindiana is probably the best choice for this machine.  Since, it is
going to be a glassfish/mysql server.  Now trying to do the same trick
with the openindiana cd and I get an 'unable to process data stream'
when I try to install the packages.  The directories were copied from
the sol 10 dvd to /var/spool/pkg directory.  Is the openindiana
incompatible with sol 10 svr4 packages or should I use sxce?  Several
people mentioned better luck using sxce.  If anyone knows where I can
get a copy of sxce -- since it went the way of the do-do bird.  Did
download the driver from adaptec for solaris 8 -- you can trick it to
see the drives, but it will timeout for a complete install is made.  And
yes, I have heard the upgrade hardware clause -- but it is a dual xeon
2.8 with 8gig of memory and 6 x 150gig 10k rpm.  So, initially, it is
worth salvaging