[OpenIndiana-discuss] [solarisx86] For those nostalgic fellas

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:21:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Gary Gendel <gary at genashor.com> wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> There are lightweight alternatives to Gnome available with a bit of work.
>  KDE is pretty close to Gnome in terms of weight.  I had used XFCE happily
> for awhile.  It is lightweight and snappy and didn't bring my laptop to it's
> knees.  It also has a CDE-like look and feel.
> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+xfce/
>
> Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it's not being actively supported or
> developed anymore.

Xfce is really here:

http://www.xfce.org/

and is very much under active development, with 4.8 just around the corner
and pre-release versions of 4.8 currently available.

I run the current 4.6.2 as my primary home desktop and have done for some
considerable time - it works extremely well. I also try and make sure that the
Xfce releases work on Solaris, and have added Solaris support to some of the
applications and panel plugins.

Of course, the number of Xfce developers is relatively small compared to
the big boys of GNOME and KDE, so I'm sure that more help (and more
users) would be welcomed.

--
-Peter Tribble