[OpenIndiana-discuss] [solarisx86] For those nostalgic fellas

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Tue Jan 4 14:22:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 12:21 +0000, Peter Tribble wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Gary Gendel <gary at genashor.com> wrote:
> > Jonathan,
> >
> > There are lightweight alternatives to Gnome available with a bit of work.
> >  KDE is pretty close to Gnome in terms of weight.  I had used XFCE happily
> > for awhile.  It is lightweight and snappy and didn't bring my laptop to it's
> > knees.  It also has a CDE-like look and feel.
> > http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+xfce/
> >
> > Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it's not being actively supported or
> > developed anymore.
>
> Xfce is really here:
>
> http://www.xfce.org/
>
> and is very much under active development, with 4.8 just around the corner
> and pre-release versions of 4.8 currently available.
>
> I run the current 4.6.2 as my primary home desktop and have done for some
> considerable time - it works extremely well. I also try and make sure that the
> Xfce releases work on Solaris, and have added Solaris support to some of the
> applications and panel plugins.
>
> Of course, the number of Xfce developers is relatively small compared to
> the big boys of GNOME and KDE, so I'm sure that more help (and more
> users) would be welcomed.

Another up and coming lightweight desktop environment is LXDE:

<http://lxde.org/>

I've used Xfce off and on since pre Xfce4 days and would subjectively
rate LXDE as significantly lighter - lightweight enough that my kids
have a couple 700 MHz PII boxes running it. LXDE also uses my favorite
window manager, OpenBox.  I don't think I've ever heard mention of an
OpenSolaris/Indiana or Solaris port though.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>