[OpenIndiana-discuss] [solarisx86] For those nostalgic fellas

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Tue Jan 4 15:14:35 UTC 2011

  I have not had issues with gnome on sunrays (and even KDE on a sunray
2) so I can only assume these will be fine. Much of the fancy features
of any X windows system disappear under Xnewt anyway.  I notice no
rendering problems with Gnome so I never bothered changing my current
setup.  I run a fast machine though so I may be biased, although Gnome
ran well under my old e450 8 years ago

On 01/ 4/11 09:28 AM, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> does anyone know how any of these (lxde, xfce, etc) fare on SunRays?
>
> On 4 January 2011 14:22, Ken Gunderson<kgunders at teamcool.net>  wrote:

>>> Xfce is really here:
>>>
>>> http://www.xfce.org/
>>>
>>> and is very much under active development, with 4.8 just around the corner
>>> and pre-release versions of 4.8 currently available.
>>>
>>> I run the current 4.6.2 as my primary home desktop and have done for some
>>> considerable time - it works extremely well. I also try and make sure that the
>>> Xfce releases work on Solaris, and have added Solaris support to some of the
>>> applications and panel plugins.
>>>
>>> Of course, the number of Xfce developers is relatively small compared to
>>> the big boys of GNOME and KDE, so I'm sure that more help (and more
>>> users) would be welcomed.
>>>
>> Another up and coming lightweight desktop environment is LXDE:
>>
>> <http://lxde.org/>
>>

>> I've used Xfce off and on since pre Xfce4 days and would subjectively
>> rate LXDE as significantly lighter - lightweight enough that my kids
>> have a couple 700 MHz PII boxes running it. LXDE also uses my favorite
>> window manager, OpenBox.  I don't think I've ever heard mention of an
>> OpenSolaris/Indiana or Solaris port though.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Gunderson<kgunders at teamcool.net>

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson