[OpenIndiana-discuss] Upgrading from 134b to 148 fails

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Thu Jan 6 15:41:35 UTC 2011

  I have it running perfectly on a v40z and that was an upgrade from
134. It was a very clean 134 install though, I believe srss and
sunstudio were the only 'additional' packages I had install in 134.

On 01/ 6/11 07:56 AM, Gary Gendel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting very frustrated with OpenIndiana installation issues.  It
> works fine in a VirtualBox environment, but I haven't been able to try
> it on bare metal.
>
> Thinkpad Z61p running oi_147:
> * LiveCD install doesn't recognize built-in keyboard or mouse.
> * If updated from repository, boot hangs  Nothing special in kernel
> debugging output.
>
> Sun V20z running os_134b:
> * Tried to update from repository.  Remove phase had lots of warnings
> about directories not empty.  Update phase dies in a python traceback
> because a file that it wanted to create already existed.
>
> What are my options for the V20z?  This system is the heart of my home
> network, providing DNS, email, file, dhcp, nat, web, etc. services.
> This machine started with os_64 and I've never had an upgrade issue
> like this.  I don't want to hose this machine trying to get
> OpenIndiana installed.  How can I provide information that will help
> track down the installation problems?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson