[OpenIndiana-discuss] image-update causes pkg to crash with "File exists" error for a man page

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Tue Jan 11 14:39:36 UTC 2011

I've been struggling to update from snv_134b to OpenIndiana, but both
147 and 148 fail when trying to install SUNWxwpnm, the X-Window man pages.

The crash comes because a file already exists.  I don't know what file
so I don't know how to get around it.  Any ideas?

----------------------
The Boot Environment oi_147 failed to be updated. A snapshot was taken
before the failed attempt and has been restored so no changes have been
made to oi_147.
pkg: An unexpected error happened during install: [Errno 17] File exists
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 3796, in handle_errors
     __ret = func(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 3773, in main_func
     return func(img, pargs)
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 1303, in install
     raise_ActionExecutionError=False)
   File "/usr/bin/pkg", line 865, in __api_execute_plan
     api_inst.execute_plan()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/api.py", line
674, in execute_plan
     self.__img.imageplan.execute()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/imageplan.py",
line 1084, in execute
     p.execute_install(src, dest)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/pkgplan.py", line
301, in execute_install
     dest.install(self, src)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/actions/legacy.py", line
107, in install
     os.link(pkginfo, linkfile)
OSError: [Errno 17] File exists

I've filed a pkg bug because this situation shouldn't cause a crash, but
I don't see how do get past this without manually blowing away the man
pages before upgrading.