[OpenIndiana-discuss] General ZFS questions (Michelle Knight)

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Jan 13 12:13:31 UTC 2011

Michelle,

Though I generally agree with the advice that you received, I take an
exception to the statement that checksums "always" indicate hardware or
driver failure.  As a long-time raidz user, I can attest to the fact
that, occasionally, changes to the zfs code have wreaked havoc with
raidz.  In one build I tried an even number of disks works but an odd
number produces checksum errors.

That said...  Have you run scrubs back to back?  If so, do you always
get checksum errors and do they occur in different places? On a similar
problem such as yours, I discovered that the scrub was introducing
checksum errors.  I tracked it down to elevated temperatures during the
scrub, which really pounds at the disks.  Better cooling on the disk
tower resolved the problem.

Gary