[OpenIndiana-discuss] General ZFS questions (Michelle Knight)

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Thu Jan 13 14:31:03 UTC 2011

I must agree that I'm not entirely satisfied with the error handling of
ZFS. I have a raidz2 storage pool consisting of 8 1.5TB hard drives.

While I've never had any checksum errors explicitly reported when
issuing zpool status command, most scrubs have led to a certain amount
of Kilobytes of data having to be repaired on one or two drives.

I would be grateful if someone clarified whether this is what Michelle
Knight is referring to or the numbers in the CKSUM column.

By last fall I was affected by a number of freezes when accessing the
pool over the network. More thorough tests revealed that it was just the
storage pool that froze and not the entire system. 'zpool status'
reported no errors, nor did iostat -En. I didn't know what to do until
someone pointed out that there may be a performance bug in my build
(OpenSolaris b134) that has been fixed in later builds. The problems
started to grow and became unbearable so after a lot of hesitation I
decided to upgrade the system to b148. Apart from a blacked out screen
and messed up keyboard layout the rest of the system seemed to be
working properly.

Once again after the upgrade I ran some tests and 'iostat -En' suddenly
reported errors on one drive. I replaced it and did a resilver. By the
end of the resilvering process I noticed that a resilvering was taking
place on another drive and 'iostat -En' indicated some errors on that
drive. However the scrub I did afterwards detected no errors and no
repairs were done. The storage pool has worked fine since then and I no
longer suffer from any freezes.

The troubleshooting procedure would have been a lot easier if there was
some monitoring routines that report when a drive takes longer than
usual to respond and some SMART diagnostics to apply on each individual
drive whenever there is a suspicion that one drive is faulty.