[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Hairry Harry hairryharry at tesco.net
Sat Jan 15 10:37:47 UTC 2011

A plea and advice.

I suspect I am in the minority who has found solaris then OSOL and now
OI and now uses it as a desktop system and small server - CIFS for kids
home work. But coming from linux use over last 12 years have found it
rather good -feels stable, limited packages but what you generally need
and some ZFS features -time slider/snapshots, easy back ups and easy cifs.

My plea is please not to ignore the desktop/home user, yes we are in the
minority (correct me if I am in the wrong) but if we want to use a
"solaris" based unix there currently seems no where else to go.

I do like the idea of a stable branch and the idea of security update so
at least the core system is up to date but please ensure we can still
access a reasonably stable desktop.

The advice please is if the overall plan is to move completely to a
server based distro and use as a desktop OS is limited should I just
stop wasting my time and step off now and return to linux.

Thanks,

Mike