[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 11:02:06 UTC 2011

On 15 Jan 2011, at 10:37, Hairry Harry wrote:
<snip>

> The advice please is if the overall plan is to move completely to a
> server based distro and use as a desktop OS is limited should I just
> stop wasting my time and step off now and return to linux.

Mike,

I think you've misunderstood the proposal a bit. The plan isn't at all to move completely to a server based distro - I sincerely hope I didn't give that impression.

The Dev branch will continue to have a full desktop and will continue to be updated from the Oracle software repositories (which are still open).

The proposal for the Stable branch was for it to be a clone of the dev branch in every way, just that we'll also provide critical security updates for a small set of packages, for a fixed time period.

While the stable branch is sat there only getting security updates, the /dev branch will continue to be updated, receiving the latest and greatest desktop software.

Regards,

Alasdair