[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 18:02:08 UTC 2011

> > Currently the dependency chain of the packages, is erm to be polite
utterly
> > broken... Before we can consider a stable build, we have to fix that a
text
> > install takes 2.6GiB and includes so much stuff that doesn't belong.
Trying
> > to remove via pkg gets you nowhere as it horrible chained together
> > incorrectly. It's a security nightmare, the only way I currently feel
safe
> > is that I have a zone that faces the world because zones (for some
reason)
> > install much more striped down installs.
>Unfortunately this is something we have inherited from Oracle. Some of the
packages need to be split, so that they don't pull in such a large tree of
dependencies. Some packages (Things like python) also have dependencies on
things like the gnome
> libraries or X11 libraries - if the packages were split then this could
improve the situation.

> It needs someone to actually sit down and work out the dependency tree and
take charge of that project. Perhaps you'd be willing to help work on this?

Sure, was hoping to find the time before now but haven't had the time to
really learn the packaging system yet, but should have some more time soon
and this is high on my list to help on (along with some driver and zfs code
in illumos).

> If this is something you want - i'd encourage you to hop onto #oi-dev on
irc.freenode.net and get involved.

Will do :)

> > 6) Security info and concerns, from articles to hardening the OS to
using
> > VMs (Xen, Zones, Virtual box?) to isolate components. Probably just an
> > extension of the wiki and/or blogs but I'm sure some of the in the
trenches
> > guys would be happy to write a few articles on how we got OI onto the
front
> > line and in use.
>
> The OpenIndiana Handbook would be a great place for this information:
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Handbook
>
>If you'd like access to the wiki to work on this just say.

Yes please, I've deliberately been keeping notes on the setups I've been
making, for my own reference as well as writing up into wiki docs. I've got
a fair experience writing articles for books, magazines and web pages and
enjoy the writing process so I'll happily get some articles up :)

Perhaps we should try the wikipedia model, in that we open up editing the
wiki by default but using editors, to help keep things correct? Again
something I have experience with (I've been an editor on one of the ShaderX
books) and would happily volunteer to do in the areas I know.

I really hate 'complaining' about OI because I really do appreciate how good
it is, so just in case I come across of not being grateful, a big *Thanks*
to everyone involved for getting us this far :)

Bye,
Deano

deano at cloudpixies.com