[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Gabriel de la Cruz gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:07:14 UTC 2011

Thanks!
A place to start is a place to start, and an stable server release is
the most urgent one among all the other options.

Some people is talking about the server-desktop question, I
particularly liked the old Solaris software groups concept (reduced
network, core, end user, entire)... woulnt it be posible to have a non
stable distro featuring the full range of up to date software, and a
stable conservative one (behind in innovation but ahead in stability)
allowing to either just keep the fully suported core of software or to
add as well a less supported desktop enviroment?. Wouldnt this be
almost same effort, example:

release period 1
- oi_148 unstable:
full set of up to date programs, server + desktop, all unstable

release period 2
- oi_149 unstable:
full set of up to date programs, server + desktop, all unstable
- 2011.02 stable:
oi_148 stable server core + oi_148 unstable optional desktop software group

release period 3
oi_150 unstable
full set of up to date programs, server + desktop, all unstable
2011.09 stable
oi_149 stable server core + oi_149 unstable optional desktop software group

... and so on

probably what I say is either too stupid or just too ovious, I was
just thinking on a way to have a non critical desktop land compatible
with the fully stable server release on the same installation disk...
even if both of them are delayed in time in relation to the unstable
new release.

Cheers