[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 18 02:09:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 09:13:18PM +0100, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

> Adding additional packages is a different story and we are
> currently working on the procedures and infrastructure to provide
> an addon consolidation (see
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Addon+Consolidations)

I'm very pleased to see that.  It should allow many people to
contribute to openindiana, and do so independantly.  I'm packaging
a product now, into both SVR4 and IPS forms, with the intent that
it will run on Solaris 10, Solaris 11 Express, and Openindiana,
for both SPARC and x86.

One thing I don't favour is installing packages from the Extra
consolidation into a unique directory, /usr/oie in this document.
That doesn't prevent name collisions, but just delays them.  Once
you add /usr/oie/bin to your PATH, duplicate names will be hidden
anyway.  I'd prefer to install them in standard locations, and to
eliminate duplicates explicitly.

> That sounds great, if you want to contribute packages today, the
> best solution would be to add tem to SFE
> (http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/spec-files-extra/) since it
> allows others to easily build your contributed package and since
> SFE is likely to become one of our "upstream" projects where we
> might import packages from at a later time.

Is this only a repository of spec files, or is it an IPS repository
too?  I would like to see an independant repository of IPS packages.