[OpenIndiana-discuss] No keyboard during install of oi 148

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Tue Jan 18 12:25:42 UTC 2011

Daniel,

You are not alone.  You can get past this by plugging in a USB mouse and
keyboard, but be warned...  I tried the following:

a) Install from LiveCD using USB mouse and keyboard - Installs but boot
hangs after "hostname" message.  kernel debug messages don't show
anything useful.
b) Upgrade from 147 to 148 via repository...  Still hangs after hostname
message.
c) Install fresh 148 from Repository (Using Moinakg's script
http://moinakg.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/network-installer-for-openindiana).
Same deal.

Since I cannot get past the hang and I cannot get any useful debug
output I'm going to wait for the next release and hope that it will
either be fixed or I can get something useful out of it.  That (b)
failed makes me feel that something fundamental is wrong.

I use this laptop as a testbench before upgrading my second machine, a
Sunfire v20z, that runs all my services (file, mail, router, web, etc.)
but I tried it there anyway.  It's running 134b, and upgrading via the
repository ended up with other things broken...  Something is eating up
80% of the cpu but doesn't show up in the prstat output.  The latest
guess is that something is in a tight "spawn child which dies" loop.
Also, I was unable to get apcupsd to run without crashing in the usb
library (even building it again from scratch).  I might try (c) to get a
fresh 148 install for testing, but this would take all my services
offline during that time.

Be patent; these things will get fixed.  We have a very bright, small,
overworked, developer community that are doing their best.  Since people
like you and I are not providing good diagnostic information we just
have to hang tight and wait for someone that can.

Regards,
Gary