[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool and nfs

Edward Ned Harvey openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Jan 19 21:23:59 UTC 2011

> From: ann kok [mailto:oiyankok at yahoo.ca]
>
> As I haven't received the response, I run the formart -e
> It said it needs around 3 hours
>
> format> format
> Ready to format.  Formatting cannot be interrupted
> and takes 232 minutes (estimated). Continue?
> Continue? y

Oh my goodness.  No.
When you run format -e, it should just display a list of all the disks in
the system (instantly), and ask you which one you want to work on, and then
you quit.  I'm sure I said that.  Quit without changing anything.  (And be
careful not to break anything.)  I am extremely certain I never told you to
type "format" after you got into the format prompt.  And when it prompted
you "Continue?"  You should definitely have said "n" instead of "y"

You have entered the format prompt, and then entered the format command on
the format prompt, which apparently does something horrific.  Hopefully
you're doing it to a disk you don't care about.

I suggest rebooting first, just to ensure you haven't destroyed your system.
You may have destroyed it.

Here is an example:
	[root at FILER ~]# format -e
	Searching for disks...done

	AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
	       0. c0d0 <ST325082-         5QE4X6G-0001-232.83GB>
	          /pci at 0,0/pci15ad,7a0 at 15/pci-ide at 0/ide at 0/cmdk at 0,0
	       1. c2t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 3913 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
	          /pci at 0,0/pci15ad,1976 at 10/sd at 0,0
	       2. c2t1d0 <VMware-Virtual disk-1.0-200.00GB>
	          /pci at 0,0/pci15ad,1976 at 10/sd at 1,0
	       3. c2t2d0 <VMware-Virtual disk-1.0-170.00GB>
	          /pci at 0,0/pci15ad,1976 at 10/sd at 2,0
	Specify disk (enter its number): ^C

I'm sure I said this too.  Don't bother formatting any disks.  Just use
zpool add.  End of story.  It will use the whole device, and it's an instant
operation.

> 4/ What is the different betwen zpool attach zpool and zpool add

Zpool attach will create a mirror of a device which was not previously
mirrored.
Zpool add will add storage to a pool.  If you add a single device, then it's
not redundant.  If you add a mirror or a raidz, then it's redundant.