[OpenIndiana-discuss] Can anyone recommend an external SATA card?

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Thu Jan 20 22:34:12 UTC 2011

Unfortunately I don't know the UK market but I'm not impressed by the
prices scan.co.uk have on their HBA cards after looking into their page.
You could also look at the" esata-4-8-port..." section as there are a
few more viable alternatives. From this list an LSI based 8-port card is
cheaper than a 4-port card. If I were to buy from this seller I would go
for the SASUC8I card (search it on the website). There must be some kind
of a price comparison website where you live, no? Since you want to go
for internal cards here's a list of them you can search for:

LSI SAS 3041E-R
LSI SAS 3081E-R
LSI-SAS 9211-4i
LSI-SAS 9211-8i
LSI-SAS 9201-16i

Cisco LSI SAS 30813ER SAS SATA RAID
Cisco LSI 1064E SAS

Dell PERC 5i/6i

Intel SASUC8I
Intel SASMF8I
Intel SASWT4I

Fujitsu-Siemens S26361-F3257-L8
Fujitsu-Siemens S26361-F3257-L4

Also keep in mind that when getting a SAS card you will need a SAS->
SATA fan out cable, (unless there are other for you relevant options for
connecting SATA drives to SAS HBA which I'm not aware of). It looks like
this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3ware-cbl-sff8087ocf-10m-sff-8087-to-discrete-forward-breakout-cable

or this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/highpoint-int-ms-1m4s-internal-mini-sas-to-sata-cable

On some HBAs these cables are included but not all of them, especially
the cheaper ones. If you want to use a standard issue E-SATA bracket you
are also likely to need a male -> female SATA adapter to connect it with
the fan out cable.