[OpenIndiana-discuss] Can anyone recommend an external SATA card?

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Fri Jan 21 11:35:38 UTC 2011

The Areca cards are probably quite nice. They provide their own drivers
for their cards and they support Solaris. It looks like their cards are
based on Intel's IOP chipsets but it isn't revealed explicitly on their
website. The only objection I have against their cards is the price. On
for example Newegg, an Areca 1200 card goes for $160 and it gives you
two SATA ports. An intel SASUC8I goes for $155 on Newegg providing 8 ports.

I also want to add to clarify; There was someone on this mailing lists
who mentioned JBOD which is _not_ what you want to use if you intend to
run ZFS on it. The preferred mode is IT mode which on LSI's controllers
is done by flashing them with IT firmware. IT means Initiator-Target.
The disks should be run either as RAID0 with one disk per stripe or as
"Single Disk", (different vendors have different names for the same
thing), not JBOD which is a different thing.