[OpenIndiana-discuss] svc and services

Bernd Helber bernd at helber-it-services.com
Fri Jan 21 19:48:38 UTC 2011

Hi Ann ;)

The Service Management Facilty works a little bit different to the
Legacy Init System

In Case you have different Properties and groups

svc:	Service type
/system/system-log	Name
:default Instance

you will find your repository

at
bernd at kobold:/home/bernd$ ls /etc/svc
repository.db

its a sqlite based Database

The repository is the source for all known services on the system,
it imports the service manifest into the database and then never
references the manifest again.

The SMF Manifests are XML Scripts
with following content

Name of service
Number of instances
Start, stop and refresh methods
Property groups
Service model
Fault handling
Documentation template

 milestones are predefined sets of capabilities for a few set of
services, comparable  to  legacy run levels

If you want to know more about the services you could ask the Service
Management Facility about a detailled Description...

At example..

svcs -H -o FMRI,STATE,NSTATE,STIME,DESC -SSTATE svc:/*
svc:/application/management/common-agent-container-1:default
uninitialized  -             10:37:29 -
svc:/system/cluster/cznetd:default                 maintenance    -
        10:38:40 Sun Cluster virtual cluster network daemon
svc:/system/cluster/cl-svc-cluster-milestone:default offline        -
          10:38:40 Synchronizing the cluster userland services
svc:/system/boot-archive:default                   online         -
        10:37:28 check boot archive content
svc:/system/device/local:default                   online         -
        10:37:41 Standard Solaris device configuration.
svc:/milestone/devices:default                     online         -
        10:37:46 device configuration milestone
svc:/system/identity:domain                        online         -
        10:37:42 system identity (domainname)
svc:/system/identity:node                          online         -
        10:37:21 system identity (nodename)
svc:/system/filesystem/local:default               online         -
        10:38:00 local file system mounts
svc:/system/manifest-import:default                online         -
        10:37:45 service manifest import
svc:/system/filesystem/minimal:defa

If you would like to look on your legacy Services ==

lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S20sysetup                          legacy_run     -
        10:38:25 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S47pppd                             legacy_run     -
        10:38:25 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S72autoinstall                      legacy_run     -
        10:38:25 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S72sc_update_hosts                  legacy_run     -
        10:38:25 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S72sc_update_ntp                    legacy_run     -
        10:38:25 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S73cachefs_daemon                   legacy_run     -
        10:38:25 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S74xntpd_cluster                    legacy_run     -
        10:38:25 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S77scpostconfig                     legacy_run     -
        10:38:26 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S81dodatadm_udaplt                  legacy_run     -
        10:38:26 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S89PRESERVE                         legacy_run     -
        10:38:26 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S95SUNWmd_binddevs                  legacy_run     -
        10:38:27 -
lrc:/etc/rc2_d/S98deallocate                       legacy_run     -
        10:38:27 -
lrc:/etc/rc

If you would check your milestones. ;)

svcs -H -o FMRI,STATE,NSTATE,STIME,DESC -SSTATE svc:/milestone/*

svc:/milestone/devices:default                     online         -
        10:37:46 device configuration milestone
svc:/milestone/multi-user:default                  online         -
        10:38:27 multi-user milestone
svc:/milestone/name-services:default               online         -
        10:37:59 name services milestone
svc:/milestone/single-user:default                 online         -
        10:37:58 single-user milestone
svc:/milestone/multi-user-server:default           online         -
        10:38:34 multi-user plus exports milestone
svc:/milestone/network:default                     online         -
        10:37:45 Network milestone
svc:/milestone/sysconfig:default                   online         -
        10:38:05 Basic system configuration milestone

If you want to check on service/daemon

in this example you see the IPSec Daemon..

svcs -H -oDESC svc:/network/ipsec/ike:default ; svcs -H -oSTATE
svc:/network/ipsec/ike:default ; svcs -H -oFMRI,STATE -D
svc:/network/ipsec/ike:default ; svcs -l svc:/milestone/network:default ;

IKE daemon
disabled
svc:/milestone/network:default                     online
fmri         svc:/milestone/network:default
name         Network milestone
enabled      true
state        online
next_state   none
state_time   21 January 2011 10:37:45 CET
logfile      /var/svc/log/milestone-network:default.log
restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
dependency   require_all/none svc:/network/loopback (online)
dependency   require_all/none svc:/network/physical (multiple)
dependency   optional_all/restart svc:/network/ipfilter (disabled)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/ipsec/policy (online)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/ipsec/ike (disabled)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/ipsec/ipsecalgs (online)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/ipsec/manual-key (disabled)
root at gnom:~#

Hope thats useful to you. :)

Have a nice Weekend.

Am 21.01.11 20:07, schrieb ann kok:
> Hi
>
> I install snmp and apache2 respectively and also import it svccfg as xml
>
> I have question why they are under different paths in svc
>
> eg:
> snmp is in /site/snmp:default but apache2 is in /network/cswapache2:default
>
> ls it any meaning in the system?
>
> online         13:42:07 svc:/site/snmp:default
>
> online         13:35:35 svc:/network/cswapache2:default
>
> Thank you

             _.-|-/\-._
          \-'          '-.
         /    /\    /\    \/