[OpenIndiana-discuss] Driver security?

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 20:00:59 UTC 2011

Oi Gang,

An interesting article below. Are we at all exposed re our USB or NDIS drivers?

http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/story/no-let-security-front-2011/2011-01-21

Snippet:

Over in China, researchers from Microsoft ( NASDAQ: MSFT ) have sounded the warning on new malware that intercepts and inspects network traffic in order to stymie the operation of cloud-based antivirus tools . While disabling the operation of antivirus applications is hardly new, the use of an NDIS driver in this case to monitor and modify data packets at the network level is surprisingly sophisticated.

Read more: No let up on the security front in 2011 - FierceCIO:TechWatch http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/story/no-let-security-front-2011/2011-01-21#ixzz1BhZjoebp
Subscribe: http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceCIOTechWatch-FierceCIOTechWatch