[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 07:32:34 UTC 2011

> Postfix is probably the easiest drop-in replacement.  But IMO
> a packaging of it should get lots of testing before going into
> a stable distro, and regardless of which is eventually the
> default or preferred choice, both should remain available.

I did poke around at this, but found that the fmd smtp notification uses
sendmail, and has a dependancy on it, so I put the effort into getting
fmd working via snmp instead.

I'm probably biased, having had to hire a "sendmail expert" for a week
to create a complex email routing server with Solaris, that I later
replaced with postfix myself in an afternoon (on Centos).

I'm a fan of the minimal "fries with that" OS approach, and then clip in
your favourite packages.

I'm about to "update" a 40Tb snv_134 storage server to OpenIndiana.

I've migrated the data already, and there is a considerable difference
in setup around networking and zfs ACL's especially with sharing
filesystems with both nfs and smb.

Mark.