[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Jan 26 09:34:42 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 03:32 PM, Mark wrote:

>> Postfix is probably the easiest drop-in replacement. But IMO
>> a packaging of it should get lots of testing before going into
>> a stable distro, and regardless of which is eventually the
>> default or preferred choice, both should remain available.
>>

> I did poke around at this, but found that the fmd smtp notification uses
> sendmail, and has a dependancy on it, so I put the effort into getting
> fmd working via snmp instead.

postfix will handle that just fine. It is just a packaging issue.

> I'm probably biased, having had to hire a "sendmail expert" for a week
> to create a complex email routing server with Solaris, that I later
> replaced with postfix myself in an afternoon (on Centos).

Not keen on reading and writing sendmail rulesets? Yeah, me neither.
Forgetting to use tabs just makes you go bonkers later.

> I'm a fan of the minimal "fries with that" OS approach, and then clip in
> your favourite packages.

Well, sendmail would be minimal...you'd have to patch it to be mysql
table lookup support for example while postfix will just require
enabling to get mysql/pgsql/pcre lookups...maybe too fancy for some.

> I'm about to "update" a 40Tb snv_134 storage server to OpenIndiana.
>
> I've migrated the data already, and there is a considerable difference
> in setup around networking and zfs ACL's especially with sharing
> filesystems with both nfs and smb.

I guess using samba means that I will miss out on that kind of stuff.
But I don't see considerable difference in networking unless you are
talking about nwam or more features...