[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:12:59 UTC 2011

On 25 Jan 2011, at 22:38, Kevin J. Woolley wrote:

> This is exactly the mentoring offer I've been waiting for.  I'll be happy to document what I learn; hopefully this well help as well.
>
> I'm pretty good at building software, can often fix build bugs and port between Unix systems where they're incompatible, but I need experience with zones and a lot of help with making IPS packages and SMF integration.

Hey Kevin,

Great, okay! Guido (gber on IRC) is heading up the OIAC effort - at the moment the best place to get started is with the Spec Files Extra project "SFE", which uses a tool called pkgbuild. pkgbuild takes RPM-like spec files and uses them to build software, so the main thing to do is to get started writing spec files.

There's a #pkgbuild on irc.freenode.net and please do also drop by #oi-dev where myself/Guido/others can get you started. Saablover and Wilbs are also just getting started with this so you might want to chat to them.

Cheers,

Alasdair