[OpenIndiana-discuss] solaris vs opensolaris and about security to LInux

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jan 26 15:36:22 UTC 2011

On 01/26/11 07:18 AM, ann kok wrote:
> Can someone have time to explain me what is the different between solaris10 and opensolaris?

OpenSolaris was the open source release of the code for the development branch
of the version after Solaris 10, which is now being called Solaris 11.

There was also a distro named OpenSolaris, with releases such as OpenSolaris
2008.05 and OpenSolaris 2009.06 - that distro has been discontinued, and
replaced by Oracle Solaris 11 Express, a preview of the future Solaris 11.

> ls opensolaris also in C2 security model to compare to linux?

"C2" is very much obsolete on every OS.   Solaris 10, Solaris 11 & OpenSolaris
all include stronger protections than that level provided, including
multi-level/labeled security via Solaris Trusted Extensions.   The
security-discuss mailing list or forum on this website can answer specific
questions there.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com